Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Texas Independence


Evan and I were born in Texas, so I have to mention this - 175 years ago, today, Texas declared itself a republic, independent from Mexico.

I went to the 2009 Southern Economic Association conference in San Antonio, and although I wasn't there long I made sure I stopped by the Alamo before I left. The Battle of the Alamo was raging when independence was declared. One thing that amazed me was how small the building was. It was not a place that I would like to be outnumbered ten-to-one. They've done a really nice job presenting it - a nice walk-way around the building, and good literature and presentation of the battle outside. I didn't even go in but I got a good view of a lot of the complex. It's definitely worth seeing.

3 comments:

  1. What is not generally acknowledged is that nearly half of Mexico as we know it today split off during the 1830s and 1840s; there were broad support in the American south to pick up the Yucatan so as to expand American slavery there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My new blog: http://pacificcresttrail.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is also the BDay of Dr. Seuss.

    ReplyDelete

All anonymous comments will be deleted. Consistent pseudonyms are fine.